School Nurse Update - Sept. 17
Hermantown Community Schools
Now that we are a few days into the school year, I want to keep you informed of some information that may be helpful as we move forward and navigate the COVID-19 pandemic. Be aware that recommendations change frequently as we learn more about the virus. I plan to send updates regularly to promote communication regarding health and COVID-19 in our school community.
We have found as we follow the MDH COVID-19 Decision Tree for People in Schools, Youth, and Child Care Programs that there are many different potential illnesses with symptoms that overlap with the same symptoms as COVID-19. Because of this, there could be many times during the school year that students need to stay home while they are in the process of evaluation to rule out COVID-19. As of now, here is what we will do if we learn of a student being tested for COVID-19 due to symptoms:
- We will begin the process of contact tracing to discover if there are any students that may have been within 6 feet for longer than 15 minutes during the 48 hours prior to symptom onset when the student being tested may have been contagious.
- If your child is found to be a potential close contact of the student being tested, you will receive an email informing you that a member of your child’s school community is being tested and your child may have been in close contact with that student.
- You should begin monitoring your child for symptoms and keep your child home and call your healthcare provider if symptoms develop.
- Your child does not need to quarantine unless symptoms develop. If you do not hear back from the school, there is no more you need to do.
- If the child with symptoms tests positive, you will be notified by phone to start quarantine for your child and contact your healthcare provider.
New Resources from MDH
- See this document for in-depth information on COVID-19 management in the school setting, when to keep your child home, etc. COVID-19 Attendance Guide for Parents and Families (PDF)
- This is a home symptom screening tool that has been created by MDH to use if it is helpful to you: Home Screening Tool for COVID-19 Symptoms
- If your child is tested or seeing the doctor for potential COVID-19 symptoms, we will need documentation of either a negative COVID-19 test or an alternate diagnosis from the doctor for your child to return before the 10 day isolation period is over. It may be helpful to set up access to your child’s electronic health record through your healthcare provider ahead of time. Check with your provider to find out the process; sometimes it takes several days to be set up, so getting the process started now may save time later.
- Please notify me if your child has been or will be tested for symptoms or needs to quarantine due to recent close contact with someone who is positive for COVID-19 and I will follow up with you. My contact information is listed below. While isolating or on quarantine, your child may complete school work via distance learning. I will communicate the need with the appropriate staff.
- This video was sent to all families at the beginning of the school year that walks you through the Decision Tree. https://www.wevideo.com/view/1817914865
- If you have not completed this form regarding daily screening expectations for COVID-19, please do so as soon as possible: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd9NrmU8nOyKJE5eXPZl6JmmCNQxNpLbMrz7576x2O9z92A1A/viewform?usp=sf_link
We will do our best to keep you updated with any changes. We appreciate your support and understanding as we work together to keep our school community as safe as possible.
Sheina Showen, RN, PHN, LSN
Hermantown School District Nurse
218-626-6015 (High School)
218-626-6111 (Elementary School)